Monday, May 2, 2011

Monday's Menu: Roast for the Slow Cooker


I love good beef. It is my love language. Not really, but kind of! Add butter to beef and I'm even happier! That's the idea behind my super simple slow cooker roast.

Pop it in in the morning, let it simmer all day in its natural juices and some lovely organic butter, and you have a wonderful meal by 6 p.m. I know a roast seems like a fussy dinner, but it's really not!

And you can even make this work if you're dining for one or only two. Just have the meat man cut you a pound or so of roast!
For our family of 5, (well, only 4 are eating) we love a solid 2.5-3 lb roast. Then we have plenty of leftovers for sandwiches!

Here's my recipe for a delicious slow cooker roast:

Ingredients:

1 organic, 100% grass fed organic chuck or arm roast (2-3 lbs)


1 stick organic butter, I like Organic Valley's unsalted version, for when it will be heated in cooking. I like raw butter for unheated things, like steamed veggies or spread on toast.


Sea Salt: I use
Mercola's Himalayan salt or Real Salt, more info on these to come!

Organic Pepper: My favorite brand is Frontier Organic.
1 whole organic onion In the morning, put your roast in your slow cooker. Rub the meat all over with Himalayan/Celtic sea salt and pepper.

Directions:

Rub salt and pepper all over the top of the roast, and set the stick of butter on top.

Cut the onion into quarters, and separate the individual pieces (they are crescent shaped now) all over the roast and in the slow cooker.


Turn the slow cooker on to low, and cook all day. (I like to have it going by 9 or 10 a.m. and serve around 6) Cook until it is very fork tender.

You can also make a lovely gravy out of all the juices that accumulate!

Enjoy!


No comments: