Monday, June 21, 2010

Monday's Menu: Blender Batter Pancakes

Happy Monday everyone! I hope you all had a wonderful Father's Day! My husband, Mark, is such a wonderful Father to our boys, I wanted to make him a special breakfast. I thought I'd share our breakfast with you. I particularly wanted to share a super easy, super nutritious recipe I have for pancake/waffle batter. I got it from my Mom, but the original recipe is from Sue Gregg. Sue Gregg has some great cookbooks with whole food recipes. I don't own any of her cookbooks yet, but her website is great! Anyway, here was our Father's Day breakfast feast:

We started off with our mainstay: organic, local, free range eggs.

Meanwhile, I fired up our beloved VitaMix, which always gets a workout in the morning. For our Father's Day breakfast, I made our family's favorite smoothie, made with raw milk, organic strawberries, organic banana, organic coconut oil, organic raw honey, and organic egg yolks.

Nathaniel waits expectantly for his smoothie.

While the smoothie was mixing, I made the star of the show- our blender batter pancakes. I'll post the recipe below!

Put it all together: Eggs, pancakes, smoothie, and orange slices decorated with borage flowers from the backyard garden. Happy Father's Day.

Blender Batter Pancakes: (Can also be used in a waffle maker)

Here is the recipe: (Single batch)

1 cup buttermilk
1 Tbsp coconut oil
1/2 cup oat
1/2 cup wheat berries (or rice, or millet, or barley)

Place in blender and blend for 3 minutes - let sit on your counter overnight

Next Morning:

Add:
1 egg
1 Tbsp flaxseed
1/4 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1 tspn. baking powder (I recommend Rumford's Aluminum Free)

Blend for 3 -5 minutes. Now it's ready to use! If it seems too thick, just add a bit more milk.

Enjoy!


5 comments:

kristy said...

That is so funny...didn't I just send you that link yesterday? Small world. I want to try them out this week.

Catherine said...

Kristy, when I got your email, I figured it had to be Sue Gregg that you were referring to! But there was no link in the email, so I didn't know for sure. It is a small world! You'll love the recipe! Let me know if you end up buying any of her cookbooks, and if you recommend them. I've been making those pancakes for several years, and they're always a hit! So I'd love to hear about some of her other recipes.

akdbaker said...

The berries? Is that Bulgur?
And..the recipe...just makes one serving?

Thanks!
Kellye

Catherine said...

Hi Kellye,

The recipe makes enough for 2 adults, and maybe one small child. :) For the wheat berries, I just used organic wheat berries from the bulk section at Whole Foods. Since you're soaking them in the buttermilk overnight, you're neutralizing any enzyme inhibitors and toxins that might be present in the grains.

Blogger said...

3 Studies PROVE Why Coconut Oil Kills Belly Fat.

This means that you literally get rid of fat by eating Coconut Fats (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

These 3 researches from big medicinal journals are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world around!