Wednesday, October 27, 2010

My Brand Recommendations for the Extraordinary Foods: Part 1

Ok, so we have finally made it through the Extraordinary Foods list, from the Great Physician's RX for Health & Wellness! As promised, I will now go through the foods and list the brands our family buys. I have chosen all brands based on their manufacturing processes, ensuring that the foods stay as close to God intended as possible!

I will re-list the foods, and put my recommended brands in bold next to them.

Here we go!

Meat: (Grass Fed & Organic)

We have a local farm where we buy all of our organic grass fed beef. Check out www.eatwild.com to find a farm in your area, or www.realmilk.com, as many farmers who sell milk will also sell beef.

  • Meat bone soup or stock (We use homemade, I rarely buy store bought stock, as many organic ones have MSG in them! Anything that says "yeast extract" is actually MSG!)
  • Liver and heart (must be organic) (I must admit that I've never been brave enough to try liver but our farmer does sell it!)
  • Lamb Our family loves lamb! We buy it from the Whole Foods meat counter- there is usually only one local brand available. Check out your natural health food store.
  • Buffalo We love buffalo too! Buffalo burgers are particularly good. We get ours from the Whole Foods meat counter.
  • Elk We have never eaten elk, let me know if you try it!
  • Venison We have never eaten vennison, let me know if you try it!
  • Beef - See note above
  • Goat We have never eaten goat, let me know if you try it!
  • Veal We have never eaten veal, let me know if you try it!
  • Jerky (with no chemicals, nitrates, or nitrites) I rarely buy jerky, but I do know you can easily make it at home with a dehydrator. If you do decide to buy it, just make sure it has no chemicals, nitrates or nitrites as listed above, and comes from grass fed beef.
  • Beef or buffalo sausage (with no pork casing) Applegate Farms has some really good organic beef sausages and hot dogs, without any pork, and made from grass fed beef.
Fish: (Wild- or ocean caught)
(The availability of fish will vary based on your area. Check out your local natural health food store for the best wild or ocean caught fish available to you.)
  • Fish soup or stock
  • Salmon
  • Halibut
  • Tuna
  • Cod
  • Scrod
  • Grouper
  • Haddock
  • Mahimahi
  • Pompano
  • Wahoo
  • Trout
  • Tilapia
  • Orange Roughy
  • Sea Bass
  • Snapper
  • Sardines (canned in water or olive oil only)
  • Herring
  • Sole
  • Whitefish
Poultry: (Pastured & Organic)
  • Poultry bone soup or stock (I very rarely buy chicken stock, I usually make my own!)
  • Chicken Check out your local health food store for good chicken- I usually buy the organic chicken from our Whole Foods. You can also see if you have a local farm that sells chicken.
  • Cornish game hen I have never tried Cornish game hen, please let me know if you do!
  • Guinea fowl I have never tried guinea fowl, please let me know if you do!
  • Turkey Diestel Farms out of Sonora, CA is a great brand.
  • Duck I have never tried duck, please let me know if you do!
  • Chicken or Turkey Bacon (with no pork casing) Applegate Farms makes an excellent organic turkey bacon!
  • Chicken or Turkey Sausage (with no pork casing) Applegate Farms also makes excellent organic chicken sausages.
  • Chicken or Turkey Hot Dogs (with no pork casing) They make chicken and turkey hot dogs too, but our family prefers their beef hot dogs!
Tomorrow I will give you my favorite brands for the lunch meat, eggs, dairy, and fats and oils categories!

1 comment:

Julia said...

My husband's parents are from Africa and as such they eats lots of goat. They love it! I found it kind of tough, but then again they tend to cook it into a jerky type of meat. We also love lamb. Cornish game hens are a holiday favorite around here. We are lucky to have an HEB and Central Market close by. They sell lots of locally grown organic produce and grass and grain fed antibiotic meat. I also love their prices. HEB is close to a Walmart so they are priced competatively. We are also getting a sprouts soon, which is an indoor Farmer's Market type grocery store. They sell mostly natural products, and health food.